Wednesday, April 04, 2012

No GM or Chrysler in the bunch

Don Surber takes a look at a survey and notices what people are not driving.

Democrats
1. Honda Civic Hybrid
2. Volvo C30
3. Nissan Leaf
4. Acura TSX Wagon
5. Ford Fiesta Sedan

Republicans
1. Ford Mustang Convertible
2. Audi A8
3. Mercedes GL
4. Ford Expedition
5. Ford F-150

Damn! Ford comes in with four of ten. And, you'll notice that there's not a GM or Chrysler in the bunch.

Back when I was in the cattle business I'd do un-scientific surveys of what people drove, simply by watching what was in the field or driveways of the country folk. In town, lots of Chevy Silverados and Dodge Rams, but once you left the city and ventured into the country, it was Ford by a 3-1 margin. When a guy or gal depended on a truck every day to haul trailers, carry loads, start every time and get them home for supper, the working-folk chose Ford, almost every time.

Still, it surprises me that in this top-ten list there aren't any bailout companies. I guess that accepting government largess has consequences.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just had to put a new water pump in my ranger edge. Damn thing only has 310000 miles on it. I think I may owe some dues on it else less a coil pak and the battery and regular maintenance stuff is original.

Ben

Anonymous said...

Ford took a goverment loan. I was suprised to hear that but considering GM and Chrysler took a bunch of gov money I guess Ford had to do it. By the way I drive Toyota only.

Gerry N. said...

I bought a '92 F150 Extended cab in 2004. I had to look for six months to find a 2WD model. About three weeks after I took delivery the #8 piston came undone from it's wrist pin and screwed the engine. My mechanic said, "foecus occurit". At the time I was pretty flush so I gritted my teeth and had him install a remanufactured engine in it. Now, 25K miles later, I think it was a good decision. That pickup is more than likely going to be the last vehicle I'll ever buy. It is turning out to be like a fork, you pick it up and it works. The only other machines I own that are as reliable are my M1 Carbine, and my good ol' Sears clawhammer. I'm keepin' those, too.